What Does the Holy Spirit Do in Our Lives?? [99 in :99]
The Holy Spirit is probably the most misunderstood person of the Trinity, the three persons who are all fully and equally God. And one of the big questions people have about Him, aside from if He is a person, and if He is God, is what does The Holy Spirit actually do in the life of a Christian?
Let’s find out.
The Holy Spirit is at work in the life of a Christian from the beginning of their new life in Jesus to the day they stand before Him.
- The Spirit begins the work of salvation, applying Christ’s work to the believer.
- He replaces our hearts of stone and gives us hearts of flesh, hearts that desire to love and please God (Ps. 104:30; Ezek. 36:26; John 3:5-7).
- He is the One who sustains us through our lives, helping us become more and more like Jesus until the day we stand before Him.
- He empowers us.
- He lives within us.
- He intercedes for us, carrying our prayers to the Father and aiding us when we are weak and ignorant of what to pray (Rom. 8:26).
- He aids us in properly interpreting the Bible.
- He equips us for mission and gives each of us special gifts suited to our calling.
In other words, the Christian life is a Spirit-enabled and Spirit-filled life. A faithful Christian life is only possible with the Spirit’s presence. And every single Christian—everyone who has been born again by the Spirit—has the Spirit within them.
The Holy Spirit is with us. He will never leave us or forsake us. He will never stop comforting us and praying for us. And He will never stop transforming us into the image of Christ, who loves us and gave Himself for us.