Reinforce the Bible story at home with Family Journal Pages
As much as I love teaching the Gospel Project and pointing kids to Jesus in Scripture, I know that my influence on the kids in my care is insignificant when compared to the all-important influence of their parents. What I teach may plant a few seeds or till the soil of their hearts, but it’s the constant watering of the truths of God by godly parents that makes all the difference in a kid’s life. That’s why the Gospel Project for Kids includes the Family Journal Pages for each session for leaders to email or print for parents.
Each Family Journal Page contains:
- The Bible story and Bible passage. Maybe a few parents have never read the Book of Obadiah. (That’s not usually a go-to book for quiet-time!) Encourage parents to read the Bible story to familiarize themselves with what their kids are learning.
- The key passage. Parents can look up the key passage for preschoolers and/or kids in the translation they use at home.
- The big picture question. Maybe parents don’t have the time to sit and read the Bible story as a family devotional. Parents can ask the big picture question to their kids on their way to school, at the dinner table, when they’re brushing their teeth, or whenever the moment strikes to reinforce the biblical truth.
- The Christ Connection. Parents can remind kids throughout the week how the Bible story aligns with God’s plan to send Jesus to earth to save sinners. I personally like to add the Christ Connection to my bedtime prayers with my preschooler, Gideon. However parents work the Christ Connection in, they will help their kids understand the whole Bible points to Jesus’ saving work on the cross.
- Family activity. All of the things I’ve mentioned above are great, but the best way to connect all of those things into the lives of our kiddos is to put them into action. The family activities are quick and easy, and they allow your kids to experience the gospel in the real world. Conversations about the truths of God’s Word are awesome; living the truths out at home in front of your kids changes lives.
While my primary calling as a Sunday School teacher is to teach kids God’s Word, my secondary calling is to equip parents to read God’s Word, value God’s Word, and live God’s Word at home. The Family Journal Pages are the perfect tool for that!