Bearing God's Image
Why are we here? What is our purpose? Who are you? These are questions we all face during the course of our lives.
As Christians, we believe the Bible gives us the answers to these questions by telling us where we came from and where we are going. Understanding who we are, in light of the grand narrative of Scripture, and who we are in Jesus Christ is extremely important if we want to fulfill the purpose for which we were created.
The Scriptures are clear: people are made in the image of God for His glory and our good. We are set apart from the rest of creation for His good purposes. And even though we’ve shattered the image of God in our sin, we know the story doesn’t end there. The image of God is being restored in us through the person and work of Jesus Christ.
What does this mean for you and I on a day to day basis? How does this change the way we live?
These questions, and questions like these, will be addressed in the Fall 2013 volume of The Gospel Project for adults and students titled Bearing God’s Image, a study on the doctrine of humanity.
In Bearing God’s Image we will talk about God’s purpose for humanity. Then we’ll see how our Savior restores us by paying the price for our disobedience and fulfilling our purpose in our place. Finally, in the material we will look a the life of a redeemed human being and how we are slowly shaped into the image of Christ – the One who redeems us, sends us out on mission, and promises to make everything new.
In anticipation of our coming study on humanity we’ve asked several professors, pastors, preachers, and bloggers to share their thoughts on specific issues related to bearing God’s image.
- What Is The Purpose Of Humanity? by Bruce Ashford
- How Should We Understand Self Image? by Sharon Hodde Miller
- How Do We Find Spiritual Rest? by J.D. Greear
- How Should We Exercise Dominion? by Aaron Armstrong
- Why Should We Value Human Relationships? by Trillia Newbell
- Why Do We Need Physical Rest? by Matt Capps
- What Is The Purpose Of Work? By Brandon Smith
- How Should We Avoid Idolatry In Work? by Micah Fries
- Why Should We Value Communion With God? by Philip Nation
- Why Study The Doctrine Of Humanity? By John Hammett
We pray that the coming semester of The Gospel Project, along with this blog series, will challenge and encourage you in your understanding of humanity and of yourself.